Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Where I'm Suppose To Be

2 years in 3 bags
I'm where I'm suppose to be.  This morning I was up early finishing up last minute things.


The airport was tough.  Saying goodbye to some of my biggest supporters was painful.  With lots of hugs and tears I said goodbye to Maddie, Mom, Dad and Michael.  I'm sure people on my flight from Des Moines to Chicago thought I was a nut job ... who bawls their eyes out for that flight?! 


A quick gate change in Chicago and I was on my way to Philadelphia. About 6 other PCV's (Peace Corps Volunteers) were also on the the flight (easy to identify as we were the only ones hauling giant back packs) and we met up right away to find a shuttle to the airport. 95 and crazy humid in Philly...if we can tolerate this then we can survive Africa hot - right?


Staging (orientation) was this afternoon with the other 24 PCV's bound for Togo.  I learned the group is made up of volunteers like me, assigned to do Small Enterprise Development (SED) work while the other half is assigned to Community Health and Aids Prevention (CHAP).   As we read through the Peace Corps Act, the Mission statement and the Core Expectations for PCVs, a rush of excitement and assurance came over me and I knew I was where I was suppose to be.  The point of the PC - to promote peace through relationships, build bridges of cultural understanding, and help to meet the basic needs of the poorest of populations - is at my very core.  My undying desire to live, experience, and serve another part of the world is going to happen - is happening. While I still have fears and doubts, the aspirations far outweigh the anxieties. Don't get me wrong- I know the rough days will come ... so I'm going to ride this thrill of adventure for as it lasts.


A very big thank you to my friends and family - my cheering section - for believing in my ability to take on this adventure, for loving me a world away, and for supporting me on exciting, thrilling days - and, the more challenging ones. 

5 comments:

  1. On your way!!!!!! Keep the blog coming!!
    Newbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay staging! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Make sure you go out to the bars while you're still in America (use that money they gave you!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rah, Rah Taylor!!! I am in your corner, cheering for you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so unbelievably proud of you - keep us informed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really is a terrific adventure. Congratulations on your courage!! Go, girl, and keep writing so we can grow with you :)

    ReplyDelete