Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Rain, rain, never go away!


It still amazes me how happy rain makes me. How clear blue, sunny skies make me cringe yet dark clouds make me so excited, happy, and content. Rain means cool air and cool air means not sweating uncontrollably.  Amazing how much manageable and more enjoyable life is here when you’re comfortable.  I spent a few days in the capital, Lome, preparing for Camp Espoir and was able to really enjoy them as I wasn’t drowning in sweat from the usually intense heat and humidity. It was so nice!  I felt so normal; walking places, doing work and not being discussed with myself! I also ate really well while I was there, almost to the point that I was getting a little too used to ‘normal’ food again – that is expecting it rather than treasuring it. I was in the American bubble; working in the PC office with my fellow volunteers, enjoying high speed internet, consistent electricity , being productive, going to lunch and dinner in different places.  On the last day when I took my first run in Lome I was quite satisfied as the increased levels of delicious dinging had paid off with a high energy run along the beach. 

Thankfully, I was gently worked back into the ‘Togo bubble’ as I headed to Kovie, my friend Veronica’s village a few hours northwest of Lome. It is a really beautiful village about the same size as mine (7,000) Her house is also really spacious and peaceful with an enclosed front courtyard to herself.  We went for a killer run among the green fields starting to sprout, avoiding puddles (seriously, it rained almost every day!) the first morning.  Of Latino decent, Veronica was excited to make me a traditional breakfast after our run. Beans with a tomato sauce, cheese (or as close as we can get here), eggs, and toast. She also explained the tradition with beans in her house growing up; how they’re prepared a batch for the whole week on Monday and mixed and modified to make different meals throughout the week. I loved hearing her speak about her culture, very passionate and very proud. It was so lovely sipping coffee and relaxing on her front terrace, enjoying the view over a good meal after a great run.  A perfect morning. 

A very active and involved volunteer, Vero had meetings and business to attend to so I got to tag along and watch her work.  Her village loves her and she seems to be known by everyone! I appreciate her passion for her work and for the people she’s come to call family.  Later, when we were walking to go see nearby rice fields, we got to talking about the development of Togo and of development in general.  I think it’s safe to say this is a highly discussed topic among PCV’s here; sharing frustrations, opinions, what someone’s read in the latest book from the other side about development.  

More and more I’m understanding how development, corruption and poverty are all intertwined.  How it’s often easier to keep a population oppressed than help lift them out of their despair. Vero reminded me of this country’s youth and how not long ago anyone willing to voice their opinion was often never to be heard from again.  Volunteers throughout the country have heard such stories, so it was interesting to me to really think of this place on a development timeline; a continuum.

Saturday we headed to Atakpame and I had a wonderful few days celebrating my birthday with some of my closest friends here.  It was a big week and for the first time in a while I can say I was happy to return to my home this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment