Saturday, September 1, 2012

Rain running under rainbows


Say that three times fast. Lately, that’s been the story here; nearly all of my runs have been accompanied by at least some form of precipitation. But is this girl complaining? NO WAY! The harder it pours, the happier I am.  In training for the upcoming half marathon in Accra, Ghana at the end of September, and I did my first ten-miler in Togo last week in Pagala after my final week of Camp Espoir.  It poured all day and drizzled throughout the whole run but I was pleasantly greeted by a full rainbow as I turned around and made my way back. I ran backwards for a while to take in the awesome golden and fuchsia sunset. I literally ran under the rainbow and back to the center. 

Enough about weather and exercise.  I spent the last three weeks in Pagala, again, as we finished up the last weeks of Camp Espoir and I helped out as a counselor for another camp Peace Corps sponsors.  A camp based on creating young leaders for Togo, Camp UNITE brings some of Togo’s top students to the center in Pagala and loads them up with information and enthusiasm to take back to their communities.  It was a moving week for me as well as I had the chance to lead sessions on the importance of girls education and time management.  It was really neat to watch the participants realize that their entire future will be better if their sisters, wives, and daughters are educated right alongside them.  And teaching about planning – if you know me at all, you know I can get pretty fired up about this one!  Even more, I had the chance to be with three boys from Lama-Tessi who were invited to participate. To be able to watch them experience something so new and exciting was really cool. What’s more, they’re fired up and ready to spread the knowledge here in LT.

The second week was a blur – what’s with this exhaustion? Not used to FULL days without long hours of reading at home, I struggled throughout my time at camp with questions like, “Why can’t I get through a day of camp without needing a nap, sugar, caffeine?” and “Will I be able to make it in America?” Scarfing down my lunch, I practically ran back to my bunk each afternoon, coveting every precious minute of rest hour.  By the end of the week I realized why my mom valued my nap time so much when I was little!

The third and final week in Pagala, was the last week of Camp Espoir and I had the pleasure of being a staff member (rather than an organizer as I was for the other 3 weeks) and be right among the little monsters for the week.  I was assigned to a ‘medium’ aged cabin of seven boys from the southern regions of Togo.  This means it was my turn to be energetic, silly and fun. Yes, I know some of you are thinking about how that must have been a stretch for me. However, my good (and smart) friend Connor kept the office stocked in sugar and caffeine and the week went really well and I found my laid-back camp mode and had a great time!

Some highlights: In the talent show the group of PCV’s on staff that week did a ‘circus’ act complete with a clown (Connor), a gymnast and ribbon dancer (Alex and Lauren), a peanut catching/animal caller (Ryan), and a bad mime (me).  I don’t think the kids got it at all. But we sure had fun! The next night the kids had time to share stories of the challenges they’ve experience in being infected or affected by HIV/AIDs. Almost all seven of my boys opened up about losing one or both parents and friends to AIDS.  It was an up close and personal reminder of why this week of fun and encouragement is so important. As we sent the boys home and began cleaning up the center, I stopped to read the some of the camper evaluations the PCV’s collected.  “Why do you like Camp Espoir,” we asked.  “I like camp because I don’t get hit and we get to eat lots of food,” one responded. Wow.  Sharing with the other volunteers we all realized how easy it is to forget that these kids are seen as outcasts- lepers to their friends and family members who have been obligated to take them in.

It was interesting to have the perspective on these different camps. UNITE gives hope for the future of Togo- empowering the country’s young people to stand up, take responsibility and make change for themselves. ESPOIR provides a safe environment where for one week vulnerable kids impacted by HIV aren’t seen as different but can play and have fun as well as enjoying some positive love and 
attention from PCV’s. Different, but both important for Togo.

Other exciting things from this week include the prospect of a new project with a Togolese volunteer (think AmeriCorps) here in Lama-Tessi who has his medical degree and would like to improve the hygiene situation. He drew up a plan to put in trash cans at each of the schools and we met with the chiefs this morning to win their support.  Also, I was encouraged yesterday with a trip to Yao Kope, the small village to the north of LT where there is a group building a new hog enclosure with the help from a grant from the US Embassy. I was impressed to see their progress and foresight for the project.  Always nice to be around motivated, hard working people!

Finally, four days. My sweet boyfriend will be landing in this hot little country in less than a handful of days. After absorbing lots of vaccinations and buying random things for my friends here he is taking the leap across the Atlantic to come sweat with me for ten days. I’m a lucky girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment