Monday, November 7, 2011

Two weeks in review...

Passion Ignited
The last week of October the people from my training group (who I will refer to as ‘stagemates’ – stage is French for training) met in Pagala for a week of technical training.  While Pagala is very humid and damp, it was like being on a mini-vacation; surrounded by my closest friends, enjoying running water and an abundance of delicious food prepared by the PC kitchen staff. The week started off slow for me as some of the sessions I didn’t feel pertained to my interests or the realities of the possible work in LT. For example: teaching kids how to use computers (there are no computers in LT) or helping groups become official nonprofits (there is only one nonprofit in LT that I already work with). Not to say this isn’t important and meaningful work; just not what got me fired up.   Then God intervened when a PCV presented on the new Malaria Initiative for W. Africa. Through that and further discussion with other Volunteers in regard to health work, I felt my passion being reignited and my inspiration to work and make an impact in LT being stirred up! It was really encouraging and refreshing.  I proceeded to make a list of possible projects as the week went on (creating a hand washing campaign, creating a health group at school, teaching the women’s groups to make enriched flour), spending time looking through the PC Health Sector handbook for ideas and to get a better grasp on the health system of Togo. I even noted in my journal that day “coffee isn’t necessary if you’re doing the right work- the work should motivate/inspire and drive your passion naturally. (For those of you who know me well, go ahead and laugh now ) Needing to process my thoughts, I confided in a PCVL (Peace Corps Volunteer Leader—someone staying for a 3rd year) who was a health volunteer and he was really encouraging, giving me ideas and offering suggestions for getting started.  He also reminded me that the work and the projects must be what my community wants and needs and I must keep that in mind as I ‘plan out’ my next steps.
However, I’ve been to enough conferences/seminars/workshops to know that the real challenge is taking that excitement and inspiration and turning into action once you get back to real life.  This was on my mind and something I was really worried about all week and I tried to keep God in the forefront, asking Him to help me trust in His plan and that He would show me the way as He has done so many times in the past. Then a few of us went for a run Thursday morning.  We took a specific route that I knew was going to be uphill the entire way.  One of those runs where you check your watch every 5 minutes and wonder if you’re really this out of shape and how much longer you can push on.  Finally it was time to turn around and God just lit up the second half for me.  My friend Veronica (a very talented runner) and I were flying down the hill; it felt so effortless and gave me a newfound confidence.   We were now heading east and the sun was peeking out of the mountains, battling the fog that had settled in overnight.  It was absolutely breathtaking. The Third Day song on my Ipod, the sun bright and beautiful, and the fog holding steady so you couldn’t see too far ahead; an incredible God moment.  I knew He was there and I chuckled to myself that I had forgotten during the struggle and during the week that this journey isn’t all about me or for me.  God instilled this passion to work and live in another culture in me a long time ago, He’s brought me to Togo, and He’s led me this far through this adventure.  I’ve got to trust that He’s got the plans laid out and He will show me the way as I struggle to figure things out and turn ideas and inspiration into action.
It was a really hard run.  The downhill coast was more challenging as my Vero was pushing a sub-8 minute mile pace.  At one point I thought about letting her go, and just going at my own pace. But then I realized I don’t get to run with people very often, and you don’t become a better runner by going at at the same pace all the time.  You don’t get better or gain anything if you don’t endure the struggle. As we hitting the homestretch and I was pretty whipped, I thought back to my basketball days in High School and my mom always saying, “Leave it all on the floor; don’t hold anything back and be able to say after the game that you gave it everything you had.”  I smiled at that memory and rolled my shoulders back and pressed on to keep up with Vero.  Struggle leads to change, which leads to growth, which leads to progress. Whether it be in basketball, early morning runs in Africa, or two years serving the people of  Togo, I’ve got to leave it all out there – give it all I’ve got and allow God to lead me.
At the end of the week, I made a poster; a visual aid to remind myself of the week.  My ideas and excitement from the week are spread out all of the paper with the people who can help me and I can reach connected to each idea in the center.  It’s going in my living room, right above my new desk! 


We are who we are. 
The Diversity Committee is a really great group started recently by PCV’s here in Togo.  Their mission is to help volunteers feel safe, comfortable, and confident in who they are by leading diversity training sessions with staff and volunteers.  Our Diversity Session during our weeklong training focused on identifying who we are in the different aspects of our lives- both in the U.S. and here in Togo. For example: What identity most defines you in Togo? The answer options were posted on signs all around the area: gender/sex, religion, soci-economic status, age.  We then stood by whichever sign you felt pertains to your answer to the question.  It was a fascinating activity as I realized I’ve become more aware of my personal identity since being here than ever before in the States. I’ve become more aware of America’s diversity as well by coming to Togo. I was so thankful for the session as it gave our group the chance to learn more about each other and gain a deeper respect and understanding of who each of us is.  A really cool moment.  Ironically, we pointed out that even as we know that each individual is different and unique, we are sometimes at fault for seeing all Togolese people as the same.  We naturally lump people into groups; we do it the States, and I know I’m guilty of doing it here.  Those few hours were powerful; not only for bringing our stage closer but for making that very important point that we must try to see and treat people as the unique, special individuals they are. We aren’t all the same  - in America or in Togo and like my mom says, "it's what makes the world go 'round!"




Eye-opening moments:
This past week Aposto was gone in Lome and after the training in Pagala I was inspired to go out on my own and explore LT a bit more.  Tuesday was the All Saints day celebration at the church. The three hour service also included a large baptism of babies dressed in white.  Tchouk followed after of course! Wednesday I met my French teacher at the middle school which is about 2 minutes from my house. He took me to meet the director who then introduced me to the other teachers in the staff meeting in their 'teachers lounge' (aka the newly constructed hut).  I sat in on a few of my teacher's English classes both Wednesday and Thursday and was blown away. Not only does the shell of the cement classrooms sadly resemble packed, sweaty and hot bush taxi's that serve as our only mode of transportation, but the students have no books. Packed three to a desk with at least 100 kids in each room, the teacher writes things on the board from the one book they have and the kids meticulously copy and memorize it and that's their lesson- that's what they take home and study at night.
Friday morning I went to the weekly baby weighing and vaccination at the hospital (again a cement shell of a building with a few examination and recovery rooms). For four hours the one nurse patiently saw at least 30 mothers -some with babies they had just delivered the night before, a lot who were 3-4 months old, 5 sets of twins (poor mamas!), and some little ones who were sick and not at the weight they should be. It was exhausting and overwhelming.  I couldn't help but think how many other women were out there who had infants and weren't bringing them in. Or what about the ones who are underweight? The nurse yells at the mom to do better but they won't or don't have the means to step in until the child falls even further behind. What can I do? Follow the mom to her house? Show her how to make enriched flour or bouie that they feed the older babies? AHH! I felt so frustrated and helpless especially with my lack of health vocabulary. But still I'm excited to go back and help again on Friday, slowly earning the mama's trust and hopefully one day leading informational sessions for them on nutrition and sanitation while they wait to see the nurse.


Yesterday was Tabaski- the Muslim holiday that follows Ramadan. It consists of more cooking and eating. It's very interesting as the women all prepare the same things (fufu, rice, spaghetti) with different sauces and then spend all day sharing it with others. So my mom sits in her cooking hut dishing up plates while the kids run the bowls of various things to friends and family in the neighborhood, all while accepting the same food coming in from others! Thankfully, this is a day I don't have to worry about cooking-- and I just look at is as a large carb-load for a big bike ride (last night) and run (this am). Even cooler, yesterday afternoon, the kids walked in the compound with a quarter of a cow on their head- one hoof, half the nose, skin- EVERYTHING. I sat in awe as my mom and the kids cut it all up and cooked it over the fire.  Pretty sure I've had a lot of stomach, intestines, liver and who knows what else in the past few hours... I just tell myself it's valuable protein and to chew fast! 


This week will be busy; working on marketing things for Aposto and the business as the Trade Show is next week in Lome. Also need to get organized for the malaria survey I'm conducting at the end of November in LT, and one of my co-workers is getting married on Thurs/Friday...so that will be an experience I'm sure too!
Also, weather is heating up here- so strange as I'm so used to  the temps dropping off back home for the holidays. It sure doesn't feel like Christmas is coming...but that didn't stop me from jamming to some Christmas music on my bike ride last night!


Good things. Answered prayers of needing to feel needed, useful, busy here in LT. God continues to bless me with wonderful, kind people to work with and I try to seek His guidance and trust His plans-- day by day!

1 comment:

  1. Taylor- You continue to amaze me! You are such a strong and amazing woman. You are missed her, but God has a much bigger plan for you. I will continue to pray for you and your journey! Keep the faith! <3 Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete