Monday, March 12, 2012

Acceptance

Apparently 9 months is my magic number.  I’ve officially been in Togo 9 months and just this week I’ve felt this amazing sense of peace and acceptance with my life here.  I believe it was Thursday this week that it hit me; this is a hard life, it’s never going to get easier and you’re always going to miss people.  That is my thing- missing people and places back home.  Some volunteers miss the food in America more than anything, some miss the weather,--and while I miss both of those too, my ‘plight’ is longing for people and company of my close friends and family. But this week a new peace washed over me.  The realization that this longing is never really going to go away brought hope instead of anguish.  And I’m so thankful.

Whoever has been praying for cooler temperatures, God has heard and answered. And I thank you.  Friday morning was nasty hot but around noon it clouded over and I wasn’t afraid to ride my bike across town at 3 p.m. it was so exciting!  Then around 2 am Saturday morning the rain came and poured and poured for a few hours. Not only did I get a fresh round of water out of this but it brought quite cool temps all day Saturday and Sunday and we have been basking in the comfortable temps and lack of sweating!

An updated on the very malnourished little girl:  Terry the health agent took her and her mother to the hospital last week where they told her she must take the child immediately north to Kara where they have a specific clinic for children in her condition.  At no cost to the family (only the travel to get there and back) they can leave the little girl and come back for her when she is well again. The family’s response: they are tired and they have no money to take her to the clinic.  The mother is going to try and sell some fabric and the father retreated to the bush to collect some charcoal to sell. I found out later that she fell sick back in August, having been relatively healthy before that. The trip to Kara is relatively inexpensive (only about 90 min away) and they could definitely collect the money in one night after prayer at the mosque. Alas, they said they’ve already asked too many friends/family for money and they don’t want to do that again. So, I’m resisting urges.  The urge to criticize these negligent parents because it’s not like I can file a report with DHS and the urge to flag down a car and put the mother and child on it headed for Kara.  You see that’s the point, but it’s hard to explain and I may sound like a selfish, unloving person here. But this little girl has been sick for 7 months and now just because we have discovered her and her sad condition, it’s hard to declare we will make her well and simply hand over the 5 mille it will take for them to go and come to the clinic.  Believe me, part of me really really wants to just do that and be done with it; removing it from my conscious.  But that’s not why I’m here.  Hard to explain but serving as a PCV is about walking into a village and solving all of the problems by doling out money.  But she’s going to die Taylor, you say. Yes, she may die, but like one wise man said, maybe it would be a blessing for her to pass onto heaven and rest.  I don’t know the answer. I’m praying for the family to find the money, or what’s more, to be motivated to find the money and then actually get her to the clinic.

Last week was busy busy and this week just might be my busiest yet… and I this fits me so well.  Monday and Tuesday Ryan (health PCV in Sokode) and I worked at his house and mine to prepare for our meeting Wednesday with the NGOf that Aposto is the director of.  Wednesday morning we held a kick-butt presentation on Family Planning with the hopes that the NGO staff would take the info back to their team of local health agents who they oversee.  Ryan did a phenomenal job; he is a great presenter and his French and knowledge of the topic is impressive.  This is something I’m passionate about promoting and I’m so thankful Ryan could help make this happen. 

Wednesday afternoon was English Club at the middle school and this always makes me happy and hopeful. My kids are so great. About 20-25 pre-teens who are energetic and attentive and make me feel pretty special.  They finished their letters to America; sending them off to the kids at YESS in Des Moines and Stratford school.  Hoping to establish a solid ‘pen-pal’ effort!  Some of the leaders (and my favorites, of course) of the club took over labeling and numbering the new books we received from the Pleasant View and Stratford classes.  A special THANK YOU to these generous kids and encouraging teachers.  Also, THANK YOU to the WC Rotary Club for making the shipping of these boxes possible… watch your mailbox .. we will have something headed your way too!

Because my family’s well is almost dry, my kids help me carry water from the well a little ways a way after English Club and then they accompany me on my way to Mr. Sinya’s house and peel off as we reach each of their houses on the way. It’s a pretty cool time I look forward to each Wednesday. I went to Sinya’s on this particular night because he was inviting those who had helped him cultivate and prep his farm for yam planting over for a calabash of tchouk.  Yes, this is normal; work for your teacher and then come drink with him.  By the time I arrived the students had gone and a few teachers remained and I enjoyed some warm tchouk with them.  Sinya thanked my privately later saying, “we have a system here, when you eat and drink with us it shows respect and we really appreciate it.” No problem, dude. I’ll take a free meal (even if it is ground corn with nasty green sauce-yep I’ve reached that point) and bowl of fermented millet anytime.

Thursday morning I spent at the middle/high school sitting in on the English classes. This is both rewarding and frustrating.  I also always realize how much grammar I’ve forgotten or don’t even realize I use on a daily basis.  If my French ever becomes understandable for Togolese, I think I’d enjoy teaching a class next school year. We will see.  Then that afternoon was Girls club.  In theory this activity every Thursday afternoon would be more rewarding as we’re teaching 60+ girls life skills like communication and self confidence.  However, with my French still struggling (Sinya and Aposto can comprehend my poor speaking best) Sinya is really the one who leads the club, which is fine as he is passionate about it and is respected by all.  While frustrating for me, I pray the message about good communication skills (eye contact is a novel thing here to girls) reached a few of them.

Friday I enjoyed a more relaxed day.  I made some special batik gifts (for some special people with special days coming up J ) with Aposto and then I spent the rest of the day under his piotte where it’s cool reading my book.  I didn’t feel like doing anything else, and I gave myself permission to sit and read and read…and it was wonderful.  I did head over to Sinya’s later to practice my yoga with the kids hanging at his house.  I’m teaching yoga (in French) this week for the women’s conference and I needed to practice the commands with the movements and who better than four twelve year old boys. It was funny to watch them try to stretch and encouraging as they understood what I was saying!

Saturday I enjoyed the morning at home and then went ‘shopping’ in the market (every Saturday in LT) with Nima who helped me pick out some dressier sandals for my upcoming presentations.  I also ordered some liquid soap (think dish soap) from a woman and then said hello to one of my girls from Club who was selling tchouk in her families stand.  This seems normal to me; but once in a while I can look at this me/this place as an outsider looking in and realize how strange that might seem… a twelve year old selling local beer and inviting me to drink with her. Oh this place. We enjoyed some tchouk with the usual crowd at our usual tchouk stand and called it a night.  Yesterday, Sunday I headed to Sokode early on my bike where I had to attend meetings for CampEspoir (Camp Hope) and it was a very full day where I realized even more how crazy this spring and summer are truly going to be… whoo hoo!

And this week; here we go.  Thursday, 20 Togolese women from throughout my region will arrive for a 4 day conference on information from each of the 4 PC  sectors.  I’m helping lead 4 sessions plus two mornings of yoga.  How do you do this in French, Taylor, you ask? Good question. Lots of flip charts and pronunciation practice with Sinya…and leaning on other PCV’s for help!  I’m pumped though.  I love to plan and organize events so tomorrow (Tues) I’ll head to Sokode to begin setting up and getting ready for this exciting week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment