Sunday, December 4, 2011

And I considered nursing school..

11/30/11
Have some water with your ants.
Everywhere you turn they are there.  An no I'm not just a bad housekeeper.  As we near dry season they are searching for water and they are pretty talented at finding it.  Leave a few drops in your pot from the morning's coffee- they will be there. You cant see them or where they're coming but they appear- EVERYWHERE. I've taped my any slight opening in my water filter, topped my pots with heavy rocks on top of the lids, I've sprayed lots of toxic chemicals (outside) but still nothing works.  Give them credit for their tenacity -but c'mon! Tonight they made into the pot of soup I made at lunch..and I'm too tired to  sift them out or make something else. They blend in nicely with the spices...gross, but I boiled it -and what's a little extra protein right?


I've had some pretty cool experiences this week and it's only Wednesday.  Monday and Tuesday morning I spent at the middle school which sits about a stones throw behind my house.  My French tutor, Mr. Sinya, teaches the equivalent of 7th and 8th grade English.  Each class has at least 100 students - the majority being boys as many girls have already dropped out or gotten pregnant.  I counted about 20 girls from each class. I was impressed with their comprehension and ability to read the text that they must photo copy from the teacher (of which most of them haven't).  Excited to have a native speaker, Sinya kind of let me take over the class as they stood and read the text while I corrected their pronunciation along the way.  Making a list of words they struggle with, we practiced saying them aloud before the period ended.  While I really enjoy teaching, it's exhausting keeping 100+  kids ranging from 12-18 years old quiet long enough for someone to read aloud.  When I realized the majority of the boys (who are also older) did not have the text and were the noisiest, I called on one and made him come to the front to read. The look on his face told me he might not be able to read and I had a moment of panic.  But, he could read just fine and it set an example to the rest of the class who behaved much better after that.  Seeing the girls become fewer and fewer as they got to the the higher class level, made me really want to connect and encourage them.  The only trouble is finding a time to meet/gather them.  School is already a stretch as girls are the ones who work around the house. If a girl is still in school by 7th or 8th grade it means her parents don't force her to stay home and work, the family has the money to send her, and she hasn't gotten pregnant.  Tough chicks.  I'm hoping for a way to reach them.


MAC (malaria/mosquito net survey) this week took me to a late morning meeting Monday where a Muslim woman Lorena introduced me to summon ten of her neighbors so we could complete the malaria/bed net check survey.  Her leadership and the way they listen to her is pretty incredible.  The women just came out of the woodwork.  None of them spoke French, so there I was surrounded by a dozen or so Muslim women- old and young, babies and wide-eyed, dirty, half naked little kids and the leader calling out questions in local language and then turning to me to translate into French. Pretty cool and another of those "Peace Corps" moments.


Tuesday afternoon's MAC activities led me to the other side of town to survey the Christians with a woman who is the president of her groupement and whom I met at church.  These woman leaders- who speak French- are essential to connecting with the rest of the people.  We walked to 19 different houses that afternoon; asking each home if they had mosquito nets and if they used them.  I saw some of the poorest homes (mud huts with thatched roofs) as we were literally out in the bush.  Houses and areas of town I never knew existed. What's more- as the daily break in the day was finishing, kids came out of the woodwork, dressed in their khaki uniforms, headed back to school.  Walking to and from twice a day, some of these kids probably cover several miles.  Most households we met with were headed by women or and older group of women.  Still amazes me how welcoming and friendly they are and open to my questioning.  Again, my guide translated the questions and I was surprised at how many homes had nets.  Surrounded by prairie grass (or something like it?) and 10 ft tall sorghum I smiled and reminded myself that -'oh ya, I'm in Africa!'


Wednesday afternoon is English club as there is no school in the afternoons (as many families need their kids to work in the fields).  Totally making up lesson plans on my own, today's activities included lots of directions (numbering off, forming teams) which these kids have never heard before --in French, let alone in English.  Sinya was there to help and I have to say it was pretty cool to watch them figure it out.  They are smart and creative, just need the chance to show it.  We reviewed 'if you're happy and you know it' and now they can sing it on their own.  Then we talked about animals and I had them pair up with one person writing the word and one drawing it. This alone took several minutes: 1. I used paper from last week-and they insisted that everyone find their paper they wrote on, 2.explaining that yes, I want you to draw the animal and 3. numbering off and finding their partners.  I just sat back, smiled and thought, 'they are going to get good at this by the end of the year!'  We formed teams and played a form of charades-- a new concept too.  They are quite competitive and while I'm not sure how much English was learned I was pleased to watch them laugh and smile and work as a team to guess the animal. A very rewarding afternoon indeed.


12/4/11
Thursday I headed to Sokode as I was out of vegetables and it was my first free day to get away.  The power has been out in LT (and throughout the country) for the past few days, but thankfully it was back in Sokode so I organized my malaria/mosquito net findings at the PCV workstation.


Friday I entered a whole new world.  Was biking from my house to the hospital for the weekly baby weighing when I came upon a mama I recognized with twins.  I left my bike at Aposto's (about halfway in between) and walked with her, taking one of the babies.  We got quite the looks on the road as I carried one in my arms and she had one on her back; the people thought it was so funny and joked that the little boy was mine.  Sadly, my arms ached when we arrived at the hospital; babies are heavier than you think! We arrived to a hallway filled with mamas and their babies.  For the first time, I had the courage to sit down next to one who was there because her 4-year-old son was refusing to eat. I asked the mama how many other kids she had (4 others) and if this one (her youngest) would be the last one. She responded, that it's up to her husband. I smile and insist that 5 is a lot and that she can decide too; it's your body right-- I say. She just smiles shyly.  When she meets with the nurse I insist that she and her family wash their hands with soap and water before they eat (the little boy most likely has a parasite from sticking his dirty hands in his mouth).


I spot a teacher from the middle school and discover his daughter was just born last night. When I go to see the mother and baby I recognize the girl who I know to be only 21 and hope and pray that she wasn't his student who has now dropped out. (Sadly, this is very common here; teachers sleeping with their female students).  I so badly want to be happy for her and them, the young mother seems happy, but part of me is so sad for the struggle that awaits them. Lea, the nurse practitioner (and the main one managing the circus) bounces to give a young boy a shot and I tag along holding down his legs as he squirms. Mama's and babies wait in the hall and Lea goes to pull the vaccination charts of the ones who have arrived today.  I've caught onto her system now after watching a few times and I insist that she go attend to the others who are ready and I will organize and search for the remaining files.  She looks at me with relief and runs off to continue the weighing.  Finally, I think, I'm able to be useful! When she returns we talk about how young the girls are who have given birth this week; 20, 21 I say? She looks at me and smiles and replies 'yes, but also as young as 12 and 13.' She asks if its like that where I'm from. I say not usually and she is surprised that I don't have any children. ' When,' she asks. Not until after I'm married and have a good job I respond.  She smiles and says, 'that's good, it's not like that here though.'  I tell her my mom taught me that a long time ago, to which she responds, 'she's smart.' Ah, the simple things you take for granted in America.


And then, as I'm already satisfied with how the morning is going, I step into the hall where the nurse is talking to the mothers about family planning (I'm praying it reached and sunk in with at least one of them), a very pregnant mama walks in who looks like she's about ready to pass out.... or give birth.  Lea rushes the woman into one of two exam rooms and gets on a table (laying on the cloth she brought herself).  Lea washes up and I help her get her apron and shoulder length gloves on. Holy cow, I say to myself, this is really happening.


Freaking out inside, I try to control my energy as I realize I'm about to witness my first birth.  I put gloves on (I don't know what to expect!) and try not to make too many faces of pain and discomfort as I watch the mama push while Lea tugs on the head.  Lea laughs as I gasp at the first sign of the head.  She shuffles between pushing on the mom's uterus and working the head out.  I stand there frozen in shock and awe. The baby girl comes out and the cord is around her neck. Lea moves quickly to put her on the mom's stomach and instructs me to  grab the one tray of utensils which holds three pairs of scissors.  She sucks the mucus out of her nose and mouth, clamps the cord and at last the little girl cries.  Lea smiles, places the baby in the same utensil tray (now empty), cover's her with a cloth and attends to the mother.  I'm still frozen but trying to shake it off and make sure the newborn doesn't slide off the table.  I break off a tiny bottle of something for Lea and she loads it into a syringe to give the mother.  As she finishes cleaning her up, I feel nauseous and run out of the room.  Nothing came of it, but I shake my head wondering how I ever even considered nursing school.  I hold the little girl who is now swaddled in more cloth that the mother brought and we walk mother (who is only 20 by the way) and baby (her second) across the hall to the room where patients rest.  I come out with the baby and the hallway erupts in applause. I hope they're not clapping for me; Lea deserves the praise. I sit down exhausted, Lea runs off to continue weighing and vaccinating. She looks at me and smiles, "this is how it is here," she says.


Still not feeling well Friday afternoon, I rested Saturday at home taking the day for myself reading and relaxing.  This morning I went to church and after being alone all day Saturday, I realized another reason why I love church so much as it's because I feel so loved and a part of their family.  The second candle of the Advent 'wreath' was lit and the priest asked us how we were preparing our hearts for Christmas.  That was the gist of what I caught (my French is coming along slooowly), but it was good as I've sort of forgotten it's the Christmas season.  Vanessa and  I were talking about how it's funny that it really doesn't feel like the holidays; no one's out buying gifts, the weather isn't changing (except the wonderful winds of Harmattan), life is going on as normal in our villages.  I've had very sweet packages filled with decorations for my home and my little tree is up; my friends and I will do our best to celebrate together in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment